Benefits of freelancers
Hiring a freelancer for your next job can be a beneficial move for your company for several reasons:
- A freelancer is not an official employee thus your business is not obliged to cover taxes or work benefits.
- Freelancers have low overheads since they provide their own expenses such as office space, supplies, computers, etc.
- Hiring a freelancer allows you to focus on a specific skill required for the job.
- With a freelancer, you are not tied into an employment contract per se. The length of the relationship depends on your business needs.
The disadvantages of working with freelancers
Working with freelancers often comes with a few disadvantages. Among these disadvantages is freelancer loyalty in which case a freelancer may leave your business after completing a specific task due to a new client that may pay a higher fee. Freelancers have multiple clients thus your business most probably won’t get their undivided attention.
Another drawback involves copyrights whereby a freelancer has legal copyrights unless a contract or agreement is signed stipulating that upon completion all rights are transferred to your business.
Other disadvantages include lack of oversight since the freelancer works from the comfort of their home and companies are not able to directly supervise them.
Finding a freelancer
When finding a freelancer, look at freelance job boards such as Upwork, Guru and PeoplePerHour, which provide a vast number of freelancers. Alternatively, you can also search social media or ask your social network for any recommendations.
A freelancer’s profile will be a good indicator of their technical expertise and skills. In the interview process, establish the freelancer’s skills in communication, availability, and reliability.
Tips to working well with freelancers
Working with freelancers presents different challenges in comparison to working with employees. Fortunately, a business can create a good working relationship with its freelancers. Below are four tips to improve your interaction with your freelancers:
- When hiring a freelancer request references or look at the freelancer’s profile reviews. Request work samples where possible.
- Since freelancers often have multiple clients, communication is king to a great working relationship. Be clear with deadlines, thescope of the work, and request regular updates. This will help keep the project on track.
- Connect with your freelancer whether it is over video chat or other communication means.
- Evaluate your freelancers to decide if you will work with them again on a different project or hire someone else